Joining Our Youth & Seniors (J.O.Y.S.) project connects youth and seniors via activities that promote bridging the intergenerational gap between the youth and senior populations. Through these activities, this youth mentorship project emphasizes the importance of volunteering and the positive effects it has on the community, mainly the senior population. The project advances the personal development of the youth in areas such as self-fulfillment, character building, self-confidence, and self-esteem. Another result of this project is that the seniors act as another positive role model in the lives of the youth by giving advice and passing down wisdom from their life experiences. The project provides skills training and a direct link to activities within the community that are educational and stimulating to the mind.
Our project connects youth and seniors. Our young volunteers help and interact with seniors and in return are shown, through volunteering and the encouragement of seniors, how to build and improve their self-worth. J.O.Y.S. is an amazing experience!
- Adopt-A-Grand-Friend Program
- Annual Senior Citizen Prom
- Annual Thanksgiving Feed the Seniors
- Games/Social Activities throughout the year i.e. Holidays & Summer
- Knowledge Sharing Activities
- Youth Volunteer Workshop
- 6 Week Volunteer & Self Esteem Workshop
- 4 Week (Lunch & Learn in School) Volunteer & Self Esteem Workshop
- Summer Volunteer & Enrichment Camp
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Reading Literacy Seminars
Reading Bridge Program